Instant PDF download
A dramatic rectangular shawl inspired by traditional Shetland lace-knitting.
The main panel of the shawl is worked first, flat, then an inner border is picked up around all edges and worked in the round. Finally a lace edging is knitted on perpendicularly, around the entire perimeter of the shawl.
The lace patterns are given both as charts and as full written instructions.
Width: 17˝/(43 cm)
Length: 70˝/(178 cm)
• 3.5 mm (US 4) circular needles
• One 3.5 mm (US 4) double-pointed needle (optional, for working edging)
• Cable needle
• 790 yds/(722 m) 2-ply/lace-weight yarn (sample shown in Knit Picks Shimmer Lace yarn)
• Smooth waste yarn in contrasting colour
• Tapestry needle
• Four stitch markers
• Standard lace incs and decs, e.g. yo, ssk, k2tog, sl1k2psso
• Picking up sts
• Provisional cast-on
• Knitting on an edging perpendicularly (explained in pattern)