Instant PDF download
Hildina is a top-down triangular shawl, featuring a plain stocking stitch section and a lace edging with Estonian-style motifs; it can be easily customised to be larger or smaller. The edging can be worked with long points (shown in dark blue shawl), or with shorter points (shown in light blue and dark pink shawl).
Note that gauge, and even yarn weight, is not essential, as the size of the shawl is easily customisable. This pattern is pictured in Baa Ram Ewe Dovestone DK (dark pink shawl), and a sport-weight handspun (dark and light blue shawls), but it will work well with yarns ranging from lace-weight to DK/worsted.
The lace pattern is provided both as charts and as row-by-row written instructions.
• 5.0 mm/US size 8 needles (or size needed to obtain a good drape with chosen yarn) - long circulars recommended
• 250–310 yds/(230–283 m) of DK/light worsted yarn (the dark pink sample with short points is shown in Baa Ram Ewe Dovestone DK, shade Rhubarb [1 skein; 252 yds/230 m])
• Waste yarn in contrasting colour
• Four stitch markers
• Darning needle
• Garter tab beginning with provisional CO (a link is provided in the pattern to a photo tutorial for provisional CO)
• Standard lace increases and decreases, e.g. yo, ssk, k2tog, sl2k1psso, sl1k2psso.
• Estonian-style lace increases, explained in pattern.