Instant PDF download
This is the first pattern in Illuminated Knits, a mini-collection of designs inspired by the colourful decorations found in Celtic mansucripts such as The Book of Kells.
Inspired by the richly decorated carpet pages of illuminated manuscripts, this blanket is assembled from individual squares, worked separately in the round from the centre out, and then attached with a three-needle cast-off or seamed together.
The contrasting colourwork effect is achieved by striping yarns of two different colours, and slipping the cabled stitches on every other round.
Measurements of 35-square blanket pictured:
28˝ × 39˝/(71 cm × 99 cm)
• Each square measures approx. 5½˝/(14 cm) along each edge after blocking
• Optional blanket edging is approx. ¼˝/(0.5 cm) deep
Yardage required to make one square
• Yarn A (cable): 30 yds/(27 m)
• Yarn B (background): 26 yds/(24 m)
• 3.5 mm/US size 4 DPNs (or needles for preferred method of working small circumferences in the round)
• 3.5 mm/US size 4 long circ needles (optional; for working edging and three-needle cast-off)
• Cable needle
• Waste yarn
• Darning needle
• Safety pins
• Malabrigo Sock Yarn in the following shades:
Turner - 2 skeins [774 yds/(702 m)]
Ochre - 2 skeins [510 yds/(459 m)]
Archangel - 1 skein [208 yds/(192 m)]
Rayon Vert - 1 skein [234 yds/(216 m)]
Aguas - 1 skein [234 yds/(216 m)]
• 1 stitch marker (4 if working optional edging)